LittleBookOwl

Suzi Dougherty, John Marsden
Partials
The Wise Man's Fear
Patrick Rothfuss
Cloud World - David Cunningham Original review from Little Book OwlThe ShortCloudworld is set in a fascinating and vivid world, filled with mysterious characters and a quest that is nail-biting and leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat. It is highly enjoyableThe LongThe concept of this story was so unique, the idea of a world up in the clouds! The constant sunshine, endless see of white clouds. I like the sound of that. The unknown, what lies beneath the clouds, and all of the customs and lore associated with it. That part was especially interesting to discover.For the most part, the descriptions were very effective and helped illustrate the gorgeous cloudscape. At some points the descriptive language slowed down the pace a little, but it didn't exceed a level of over-description which was nice.Marcus was a great main character. He was brave, intelligent and very empathetic to the people in his kingdom. I like seeing characters in powerful (well soon to be since he is the heir) positions, who aren't solely seeking power and glory. He certainly developed and grew throughout the story. I loved seeing how much he worked towards changing how the people around him see him - acknowledging his personality and who he truly is, rather than the prince. I liked him as a character, but I always have a little trouble connecting with main characters in stories written in third person. Personally, I prefer first person for this reason - I like being able to witness every emotion and reaction and thought.The other characters were very interesting indeed. Some of the characters are not who you think they are, which was shocking to find out. Certainly did not expect that! Then Marcus' companions on his expedition - it was great to see how close everyone got due to their situation and circumstances. Overall, those involved were amazing, with so much bravery and selflessness.The ending leaves you satisfied with how things turned out for the characters, yet there is still so much to be explored and resolved. I am eager to continue on and read the sequel.The Good Vivid world-building, great character development, shocks and twists!The BadNot a strong connection with the main character.